A component speaker is a speakers system which uses different components, usually a couple of tweeters, mid-bass drivers and a crossover, which is a unit that filters the various frequencies. Here, we highlight some of the best 6x9 component speakers available in the market, to help you to choose a suitable 6x9 component set for your car.
The Best 6x9 Component Speakers Reviews On The Market
Now that you have a better idea about component speakers, where to find them and how to choose them, let us take a look at some to the best 6x9 component speakers which are available in the market.
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
This speaker model is among the more economical speakers system which will give you good results without too much investment. With the Kicker 40CSS694 CSS69 6"x9" 450 Watt 4-Ohm Car Audio 6x9 Component set, you to get a speaker with a standard impedance of 4 ohms, but the 450 watts peak capacity ensures that these speakers are well-matched to most car amplifiers.
The tweeters can be surface or flush mounted, and installation is quite simple. These speakers can be fitted quite easily in most cars with minimal modification. According to customers who installed these speakers in their vehicles, although the bass is punchy, the tweeters are not very audible initially. However, with a few settings adjustment, the tweeters provided a clear, crisp sound. You will be able to enjoy a significant separation of high and low frequencies with these speakers, especially the distinction between right and left channels.
The downside is that if you are an audiophile, then you probably would like to get a slightly higher-end set. Also, these speakers sound best only if hooked up to a good external amplifier, and they tend to show signs of strain at higher wattages.
What We Like
- Easy to install
- Compatible with most cars
- Suitable for most amplifiers
- Excellent bass response
What We Didn’t Like
- Tends to break up at higher power levels
- Need to be connected to a suitable external amplifier
If you are looking for an authentic all-American speakers system that stands up to the beating that a 6x9 component set is likely to get while being used in a car, the Infinity REF9620CX 6X9" 750W Reference Series 2-Way Component System is a good choice. The speakers are robust as they have a high tolerance breaking strength (0° Vertical Breaking Strength: 5,475 lbs./2485 kgs. and 90° Pull Angle Breaking Strength: 2,300 lbs./1045 kgs) which adds to the strength of the speakers.
The money you will spend on this set of speakers is likely to be considerably more when compared with money spent on other speakers under the same category. But if you are looking for the best 6x9 component speakers, then you would probably expect to pay more, in any case. A smart black metallic mesh covering the speakers helps to add to the mechanical protection of the speakers. This mesh should also take care of dust accumulation to some extent.
The bass output is pretty impressive and although small, customers who bought these speakers were impressed with their performance as well. Most customers were quite satisfied with the performance although one customer had an issue with the quality, where he found the wires touching but was able to rectify it himself, after which the speakers worked well. Some users also criticized the crossovers, as one reported that they burnt out in a couple of days.
The general feedback on these speakers is that you get a decent separation of highs, lows and midrange frequencies. You will still not be paying an astronomically-high amount for a set of these 6x9 component speakers, but the results as reported by those who used them is entirely satisfactory.
What We Like
- Excellent bass
- Decent separation of frequencies
- Exceptionally robust
- Smart metallic mesh protective cover provided
What We Didn’t Like
- Considerably costlier when compared to other speakers
- Some issues with crossovers
- Manufacturing defects reported on some purchases
One of the best features of buying this particular product is that the company has posted a lot of technical information, which gives you a good idea of what you can expect out of this speakers system before you purchase it. This 6x9 component set is manufactured using the latest speaker technology. The Rockville RV69.2C offer a cool 1,000 watt of power handling capacity which makes it compatible with most amplifiers of varying power output.
High-quality polypropylene makes up the speaker cones which ensures adequate damping to create sufficient stability keeping unnecessary vibration in check, controlled break-up and better frequency response. Butyl rubber for the surrounds provides realistic sound, and the high-temperature PEI dome tweeters have ferrite magnets which results in a crisp, clear sound in the higher frequencies.
This component speaker set is also Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) rated, which puts a stamp of approval on the overall quality of the components, manufactured according to stringent standards. The superior materials used in the manufacture of these speakers like aluminium voice coils and 100% voice copper are examples of the high-quality, standard materials, which should result in an excellent overall performance and longer life of the product.
What We Like
- Superior materials used for manufacture
- CEA rated
- Compatible with 97% of all vehicles
- Crisp, clear sound
- High response to all frequencies
What We Didn’t Like
- Report of speaker blow-out by one customer
- May not be consistent with a small percentage of cars
This product is one of the more expensive models, so you have to pay a bit more for this speaker set. But having said that, let's take a look at what you are going to get for your money spent. The speakers are manufactured in Mexico. The tweeter uses superior edge-driven PEI. Although insufficient technical information is available on the website, there are a few customer reviews that say it all, so let us see what customers had to say about the product.
According to one customer, the 6x9 component set that he bought was the only match that he could find for this model of car. Although he had to do a bit of extra wiring rerouting and some minor fabrication, the installation was quite smooth.
The sound from these speakers as reported from other users is clean and crisp. Both the woofers and tweeters got a good report, and the consensus about installation was that it was quite hassle-free. Although a bit pricey, good value for the money spent.
What We Like
- Easy installation
- Compatible with most models of cars
- Good overall performance of woofers and tweeters
What We Didn’t Like
- Comparatively more expensive than other component speakers of the same category
- Wiring had to be rerouted for hooking up the crossovers
Difference between Coaxial and Component Speakers
In connection with discussions regarding car speakers, you must have heard both these terms ‘coaxial speakers’ and ‘component speakers’ frequently mentioned. These two types of speakers are the most popularly-used form of car speakers systems today.
However, if you are interested in getting suitable speakers for your car, you would do well to know the difference between coaxial and component speakers.
For more information: How to test car speakers
Speaker technology relates to the range of sound frequencies that usually is audible to the human ear. This frequency range varies from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. The various parts of a set of component speakers deal with the different areas of this spectrum. Usually, the tweeters handle the higher frequencies and the woofers the lower ones. Most component speakers will also have a mid-range speaker handling the area based on the middle of the sound spectrum.
- Tweeters: These speakers can detect frequencies from 2,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Although there is a lot of stress placed on bass speakers, it is the tweeters that contribute to the crispness of sound, completing the audio picture.
- Mid-range Speakers: These speakers will typically handle frequencies that range from about 300 Hz to 5,000 Hz. There is an extent of overlap between the spectra dealt with by mid-range speakers and woofers.
- Woofers: You can expect to hear sounds ranging from about 40 Hz to 1,000 Hz through a good woofer. There are also some bass-boosting woofers which provide additional backup to the bass response, which gives a wholesome booming bass. The speakers for a bass guitar are prime examples of this.
- Subwoofers: Subwoofers are also a means of providing additional bass backup. You can expect to hear sounds that range from 20Hz to 200 Hz from a subwoofer. However, the frequency response of a subwoofer often clips the frequency at 80 Hz. Due to the extremely low frequency, you cannot use a subwoofer on its own, and if you do, the sound will not be complete due to the absence of mid-range and higher frequencies.
A cheap alternative to component speakers is coaxial speakers. These speakers have all the features of component speakers but they are combined into one single integral unit. Coaxial speakers do not deliver the acoustic quality of component speakers but still contain the basic elements of that class of speakers.
However, it is a convenient way of getting reasonably decent sound in your car without too much hassle for installation and at a cheaper cost. Another advantage of coaxial speakers is that accessories like crossovers are not required and you will not need to install additional wiring which reduces the complexity of getting sound installed in your car.
Nevertheless, having weighed the pros and cons of both types of speakers, if you are an audiophile like me, you would probably only be satisfied with a set of component speakers in your car.
Tips on how to Choose Your Car Speakers
There are a few governing factors which if followed, you should end up with some sound worth listening to in your car. Here are a few useful tips:
- Type of Speaker: You need to decide whether you want a set of component speakers or coaxial speakers. If you are very particular about catching every note and nuance of the soundtrack, component speakers are for you. However, for those who are not so choosy, coaxial speakers will do just fine.
- Speaker Size: Depending on the internal volume of your car and the available space, you should choose the size. Different sizes are available, and if you are using component speakers, a 6x9 component set should do just fine.
- Power Handling Capacity: This is an essential aspect of speaker performance. Good amplifiers usually start at 40 watts, so you would typically choose a set of a speakers of at least double the capacity, so 80 to 100 watts should be suitable. However, the tendency is to want speakers with higher power handling capacity even up to 2,000 watts.
- Personal Preference: How you listen to music and what you look for could be vastly different from what others look for in a speaker system. So ultimately, you need to listen to different types and models of speakers and then make a choice.
- Budget Considerations: If you browse through the net, you will find a never-ending list of speakers of different brands and models with varying quality and price. You will surely find a suitable set of speakers that fit your budget and will sound good as well. But you need to look for them.
The Final Verdict
After a great deal of searching and reviewing various brands and models, we were able to come up with these four component speaker sets. We considered different variables like the ease of installation, compatibility, power handling capacity, price, material quality, customer response and so on. Through these factors, we were able to come up with the decision of the best 6x9 component speakers available in the market.
See also: Best Kenwood car speakers
Many of you may have guessed it by now – yes, it is none other than the Pair Rockville RV69.2C 6x9 Component Car Speakers! This 6x9 component set is undoubtedly among the more expensive models available. But as we discussed earlier, when you choose a set of component speakers, you need to look for specific qualities in the product you buy.
A component speakers set should give you clear, crisp sound and a full frequency response. These speakers have this quality. The power handling capacity is a significant consideration and at 1,000 watts peak capacity, these speakers meet that requirement. Another critical factor to be considered is the quality of materials used. The Rockville RV69.2C 6x9 Component Car Speakers use superior quality materials.
An added advantage of this component speaker set is that it is CEA rated which kind of puts a stamp of approval on the quality of the product and ensures that it is manufactured using standard materials. It is also useful that so much technical information is available on the website. This data makes it possible for an audiophile to get into the heart of the matter and carefully consider what the product has to offer, before actually making a purchase.
All these factors helped us to decide that the Rockville RV69.2C 6x9 Component Car Speakers are indeed a good investment and the best 6x9 component set among all the others available in the market.
We hope you find this article useful and that by now, you should be in a better position to select a suitable speakers system for your car, in the quest for identifying the best 6x9 component speakers that money can buy. Please feel free to contact us with your feedback, comments and suggestions. We will be happy to respond. Happy speaker shopping!